Monday

DIY Business Cards!

Biz Card - Contact Information
Here are some business cards I designed and printed myself using Avery 2-sided printable business cards. Unfortunately, the document template Avery provides as a download on their website is bogus. The templates do not match up to the actual cards when printed. So, my husband measured the printable-card dimensions for me and then I created a brand new template that prints business cards spot-on. If you want to buy the Avery business cards (#28877) and DIY, shoot me an email and I'll send you the template we made [.psd with guides] to save you some time.

It only took a couple of hours to put these together. I have a background in Graphic Design, and I love doing this kind of stuff. It's always a fun challenge and gets me excited. These DIY business cards are really nice, but I can't wait to afford the super sweet professionally printed metallic business cards that I have in mind. I wanted a solid gloss black background, but my printer is just a consumer grade and the ink would disappear so fast, it would not have been worth it. When I can afford professional cards, I'd like to support Cleveland, Ohio's JakPrints.

Biz Card Photograph side with Service Information
When I was thinking about business cards, I remembered reading an article a few years ago about a group of college students at Kent University creating flexible electronic screens. Ever since, I have wanted a reason to use something like that. Wouldn't video business cards be the coolest?! I looked it up and found these new devices called Video in Print created by a company called Americhip. The video is displayed at "320x240 resolution, on a thin film transistor liquid crystal display (TFT LCD). The whole screen is only 2.7 mm thick and encased by polycarbonate to protect the display from damage. The remaining electronics are sandwiched behind the screen between two pieces of thick paper. The sound uses a similar chip to those found in electronic audio greeting cards. The battery lasts 65—70 minutes and can be recharged using a mini-usb connector." Those suckers go for about $50 a piece starting in lots of 1,000 units. Big corporations and magazines love 'em, but I think it's wasteful as magazines are typically thrown away. But, whoa, they are freakin' cool! That's way outta my budget, but some day maybe it won't be.

DIY Business Card
Back at my little arts and crafts desk, I took a few snap shots of my home spun business cards and plan to make some minor adjustments to the design. See the girl ninja photograph where it says KELLIEANN REYNOLDS ... the letters Y and N kind of blend into the photograph a bit too much, so I'll have to fix that. Overall, I'm happy with my design.

If you decide to make your own, or already have made your own business cards, I'd love to see them! Comment with photos or links of your business card creations!
 
Front and Back of DIY Business Card

1 comment:

  1. like the idea and the info..thanks for sharing it as i might need it when use this design.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone (even unregistered users) can leave a comment, so type away!

I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers! :)