Monday

Taking the Reins



Long time, no post! What have I been up to the last month or so? First things first, I want to clarify why I haven't been posting a lot of blogs: I've been really swamped and overloaded with ideas and projects, that have been brewing for years and are finally amounting to something! My brain takes up a lot of my time. Haha! All good things take patience and research, and I am finally prepared (and excited!) to take the next step. O, and thank the stars I have interests and skills beyond photography. Winter months are very slow for photography, but it is Spring now and business will be kicking into full gear again! :)

When I'm not making photographs, I draw and create digital illustrations, as well as sculpt with clay, paint, work with paper and ribbon, and occasionally sewing projects. I'm a writer, too. I have so many projects that I have kept under wraps because of legal reasons, listening to others advice, and not having the resources to create separate domains to showcase all the other stuff I do. I've heard from many professionals in the photography industry that photographers should never put other ventures on their portfolio site for it may appear to 'potentials' that we have "no focus". Well, what if you think outside of the box? What if you're on a budget? Most people are on a budget and should think outside of the box. I certainly can not afford (time-wise or financially) two or three additional goods and services websites on top of my photography portfolio, as well as my husbands websites. Two people do not really need five or six websites between them. That is overkill.

Like I have said before, my domain name is my real name, so that pretty much means my website is all about me, right? Certainly, yes. I am simply not just a photographer. Just as a person is not simply a parent, or just a chef, or just a rockstar. I have skill, passion, and interests that help me to be a great photographer. But when it comes down to it, I am an artist. Like you, I've got soul. Shamelessly multifaceted. I have come to realize through testimony that people really appreciate my artistic nature, nearly expecting it from me and look forward to working with me because of creativity being the whole of who I am, and how I work. I love that people expect that of me, because out of all the expectations of the world, I got lucky. Remember, you make your own life.

So, I have been giving some serious contemplation over not listening to advice when it comes to not including my other skills and projects on my personal website. What works for one may not work for another. I want to provide my visitors a full-on experience of who I am and what I offer, without all the massive linking and web-traveling. I am who I am and what-you-see-is-what-you-get. I love that.

A smart person works within their means, and makes the best of it. We may take risks, but we should do it confidently. Success is not the end all, and failure is not fatality. I am going to do what works for me, intuiting what feels right. I know that when something doesn't feel right, then something  is wrong or needs adjusted until it feels right and good. Part of being who I am is making my own decisions. I've listened, now it's time to act.

Stay tuned! This year is going to be monumental!

All the Best,
k

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone (even unregistered users) can leave a comment, so type away!

I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers! :)